Saturday 17 November 2012

SOUND TRACK TACTICS


Soundtrack for Audio drama
Hi guess I was not discouraged after all about the lack of response from my blog posts. Well I must say thank you to some persons who encouraged me and actually gave my programme (New Benin Audio Drama Series) a plug on their own blogpodcast. Persons like Mr. Hudson (@hudsonuk) and Julie Hoverson (19 Boulevard). Really gave me push. Well by now my audio drama has come online and the episodes are been released. I have been approved by the iTunes podcast, Blackberry Rim Podcast. So you can follow the show.

If by now you do not know who owns this blog, then view my last three posts. One of my biggest dream would be to work with the audio drama production crew of the BBC. (Please God, let that work for me)

On my last blog post, I talked about the concept of Sound effect, this time I talk about the SOUNDTRACK ‘TACTICS’.

Soundtrack as its popularly used are musical background already composed and produced by musicians. They are added to fill spaces in a movie. This is the trend in most
Audio dramas. A sound track is actually what conveys totally, the particular mood that you expect the audience to be in totality. By this I mean that if you have a romantic scene, you definitely would want this to have a romantic music background (probably a song by a famous musician like celine dion). This itself is what the audience expects to hear. However, a soundtrack for a romantic scene must not necessarily be the best blues/romance song of the decade but sounds that correspond to even a blue mood i.e. it could be any sound that would relax the sensory nerve or better still, put them in a calm state.

Practice have shown that these sounds are not necessarily musicals by popular artiste, it could and more commonly be classical compositions by an orchestral, a simple symphony e.t.c. not necessary the latest or previous HIT tracks in the RnB Genre. A simple piano symphony on ‘G’ can calm the nerve and hence be used as a soundtrack in a romantic scene. At this point I would speak for myself and state here that I personally would love to use classical orchestra compositions by Alan Silvestri. He is one of my best modern age composer. Would really love to pay for his service some day.

A soundtrack is of utmost significance as it puts the audience in the desired mood. Using popular soundtracks might need copyright bottle necks and also might not really soothe the desired impression. Hence in your production team, depending on your budget, have an instrumentalist/producer/all of the above….lol

Simple rhythms make a good soundtrack… remember this cos atseo said so…. Peace out!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment